What Are The Most Common Home Plumbing Problems?
Here's one guarantee in life: plumbing problems. That's just what you wanted to hear, isn't it? As assured as the need to make timely mortgage payments as a homeowner, the plumbing problems that go along with owning a home are unavoidable. One way or another, you're going to have to deal with a plumbing issue, whether it's a water heater problem, clogged drain, leaking pipe, or what have you.
To give you a better idea of what to look forward to, and maybe a way to avoid water damage, we're going to examine plumbing problems that frequently happen in the home.
Hot Water Problems
Without water heaters, it would be more difficult to wash dishes, some types of laundry, and take a comfortable shower or bath. If you aren't getting any hot water, check the pilot or the electrical hookup. If all seems in order, start checking for other problems like leaks, cracks, etc. Your tank might stop working altogether, or at least experience lower efficiency, if capacity is reduced due to sediment building up on the bottom of the tank.
Want to avoid water heater problems? Check these out:
- Call a professional plumber immediately if you notice water pooling under the hot water tank, cracks, or leaks.
- To continuously protect your tank walls from corrosion, replace the sacrificial anode rod midway through the unit's life.
- To remove corrosion and built-up sediment, drain and flush out the water heater every year.
Here, we are referring to leaks involving water. If you don't live in an ultra-cold climate, you at least won't have to deal with frozen pipes. Those can be a real pain! When water in pipes freezes, it also expands. This expansion can lead to burst pipes. That usually means water everywhere!
Those aren’t the only leaks, of course. A variety of problems can be caused by material buildup inside of plumbing. Leaks can occur and, at worst, plumbing bursts from the strain.
You could end up with mold and mildew, destroyed drywall, a damaged structure, and a ruined floor if you experience a leaky roof, broken pipes, or some other type of flood or massive leak.
Here's how to avoid big leaks:
- Take immediate action at the first sign of a leak.
- When any signs of deterioration show up in your pipes, replace your home plumbing system.
- To lessen the threat on appliances and plumbing, and eliminate hard water scaling, install a water softener.
Whether it's your bathroom/kitchen sink, toilet, shower drain, or some other drain, this plumbing problem is undoubtedly the most common. In the kitchen, food or grease might be clogging your drain. In the bathroom, it could be hair and soap combined. There is no telling what you might find down the toilet drain!
If you're lucky, you may be able to use a metal hanger or plunger to clear the block. Some are tougher, however, and require a snake or other professional tool/method by a plumber.
Want to avoid a clogged drain? Consider the following:
- Within 10 feet of any buried drain line, remove bushes, trees, and other plants to avoid roots interfering with the drainage system.
- In the bathroom and kitchen, practice drain-safe disposal. Don't put a lot of flour, rice, pasta, or eggshells down your kitchen drain. Don't pour grease down your drain. Don't flush "flushable" wipes or other hygiene products and use a strainer to prevent hair from going down the bathroom drains.
- Get a sewer line camera inspection done by a plumber if you notice your drains have started to drain slowly. Any sewer line problems, cracks, or clog issues can be found in this manner.
Have Your Plumbing Problems Lead to Water Damage and More? Contact the Professionals at SERVPRO of Lower Manhattan/Financial District!
It's time to contact the knowledgeable, experienced professionals at SERVPRO if you have water damage, mildew, mold, or structural damage from a flood, massive leak, etc. Don't let mold and mildew take over your home, causing conditions that are unsafe and unhealthy, at best. Take your home back by allowing the highly skilled water remediation, cleanup, and/or restoration team from SERVPRO to work their magic.
Contact us today if you need help. We offer 24-hour emergency service.