If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (212) 564-6365

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Why You Shouldn't Use Over-the-Counter Mold Tests

5/11/2020 (Permalink)

Over-the-counter mold test kits are often touted as a cheap and accurate DIY method to test for the presence of mold in homes. In fact, you might have even considered buying one at the nearest DIY home improvement store. You should, however, think twice before getting one because such kits are not all that they are cracked up to be. Here are some reasons why.

Accuracy Problems

Over-the-counter mold test kits are often advertised as being able to accurately detect the presence of mold in your home. However, these may be tall claims as such devices are hardly ever accurate in identifying mold. Even if the results were reliable and accurate, it is difficult to interpret them correctly without any professional experience in doing so.

Lack of Inspection

While over-the-counter mold test kits purportedly detect the presence of mold, they cannot pinpoint the specific location where this mold exists. This renders the reading rather useless, even if it is said to be accurate. In order to precisely locate mold in your home, a professional inspection needs to be conducted. This comprises sampling, as well as inspecting for issues related to mold that are usually not obvious to laypersons who lack professional experience in identifying and handling mold. As a result, even the Environmental Protection Agency recommends enlisting the services of professionals to deal with mold.

Lack of Certification

Over-the-counter mold test kits are usually made in labs that are not certified or endorsed by accredited agencies. These kits also lack important documentation known as a chain of custody, which describes how the item has moved from its original handler to the next party. As a result, such mold test kits lack legitimacy and should be avoided.

Lack of Expiry Date

Over-the-counter mold test kits do not come with expiry dates. This means that they are often displayed on store shelves until they are sold or disposed of. If you do buy such a kit, then there is a possibility that it is several years old and you will not be able to tell how much it has been exposed or handled prior to being purchased and brought home.

Lack of Necessity

If the mold in your home is visible, then there is no need to buy an over-the-counter mold test kit. Visible mold in itself is a confirmation that mold is present in your home, and hence the next course of action should be the removal of the mold in accordance with industry guidelines. It is a waste of time and money to try and detect mold after it has made itself obvious.

Over-the-counter mold test kits may be a waste of your time, energy, and money. Instead, consider working with professionals. With the latest equipment and highly trained mold remediation specialists, we at SERVPRO of Lower Manhattan can help restore your property quickly and effectively. Our fast response can reduce mold damage, prevent further damage, and reduce the overall cost of remediation. What are you waiting for? Contact us now!

Other News

View Recent Posts